Saturday, January 5, 2013

Procrastina... I'll finish it later.

There are always inevitable circumstances in everyone's life. Such as a project to complete, an application to fill out, left-overs in the fridge to eat, or whatever the case is. If You have been through these scenarios, then it is probable that everyone has done this before: procrastinate. It is one of the most interesting things that I go through, since I don't want to procrastinate, but I don't want to do that particular thing right now either. It may be occasional for some people, and very frequent for others.


According to the dictionary of Merriam- Webster, to procrastinate is

: to put off intentionally the doing of something that should be done

If this describes you, then let me tell you that you are not alone. This definition alone shows that everyone procrastinates. It could be something as simple as getting out of bed. So don't feel bad. I can't say the same for someone who sets aside throwing away a bad piece of produce that's been in the fridge for weeks.

Anyway, the reason I am bringing up procrastination is because for the past week, I have been putting off tasks until the last minute. Winter break has ended and I had to get back to my regular school schedule. I was so use to my out-of-school schedule that my synchronized work maneuver was disoriented and caused me to slack.

Here are some examples of what I was suppose to do, but did anyway:

 Complete three assigned lessons of Latin.> 
Ate some chocolate. 

Read Act III of Romeo and Juliet > 
looked out the window (not at anything in particular). 

Answer review questions for what I did read of Romeo and Juliet
started singing Kiss from a Rose by Seal. 


As you can see, I was not all that enthusiastic to start the rest of the school year.

This is just my most recent procrastination. There were plenty other cases where I set a goal aside. However, eventually I complete them by following one of these tips.

Make a point to do it the day (or days/hours) before the necessary due date. Whether it already has a due date or you set one, the fact that it is suppose to be done the next day always made me kick into action. I don't think this is the best method nor the smartest, but unfortunately this is how most of my tasks are completed.

Pretend it's your job to do it. Pretending that you are an official is somewhat motivating to getting the job done. If it involved computers, pretend you are a secretary. If it's cleaning, act like you are from Stanley Steamers. I don't suggest this method to those who believe in manifestation though (unless your pretend job is highly qualified, like a real estate manager).

Just do it! Sometimes I just have to rid myself of any and all hesitations and just go for it. The sooner you get it done, the better (I hope). I don't mean to sound demanding or anything, but all I'm saying is to just butt that task right in the pancreas. If necessary, find a motivation that will help you finish your errand.

I use these three optional plan-of-actions when necessary. I really shouldn't have waited this long to finish those assignments, but in my defense I had other priorities to complete that were if not just as important, than a little more.

What tasks do you often procrastinate? How do you go about doing it in the end? Lastly, how do you feel about it when you finish? How you feel about it is what really make its completion more beneficial (if you feel good towards it). So like I said, don't beat yourself up about not wanting to do something. Keep these tips in mind, and I'm sure you will be able to finish any task that comes your way.

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Im a world class procrastinator though. Hard to change it but step by step. Www.shobna-periayaih.com
    leave ur footsteps in comments. Tq

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was supposed to be cleaning my room's closet today, but instead, I've remained here on Google wondering around. I understand how you feel, procrastination sucks. When it happens to me, I get REALLY lazy. Like, I'll be happy surfing around the Internet all day without completing my errands. I'm a bit worried since I start classes in about two weeks; breaking my unhealthy laziness and lack of sleep (I've turned into one mighty night owl) will be a pain in the ass in the first couple of days.

    Your examples were pretty funny. I liked this post. Keep up the wonderful work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the "act like it's your job" bit.

    That's a powerful one. :D

    ReplyDelete