Friday, December 20, 2013

Many Faces, But Still Yourself

One of the many things that I've learned in my life is that a person should be able to fit in an situation without losing who they really are. I can understand how something like this can be difficult in certain scenarios, which is why a lot of people attempt to avoid particular environments. However, me being who I am, I at least want to do my best and leave my memory of being that one girl with that personality that will be remembered positively.



After 18 weeks of living an interesting routine of schedules and interactions, my first semester is finally over. I look forward to the next semester with enthusiasm. But I can't help but reflect on how much I've adapted to my school. So far, I have joined 3 clubs: FCCLA, Drama, and Basketball. From FCCLA, I have learned that working together to make a change can have a lot of benefits, if you're willing to persevere. Drama, I learned that being dedicated has its rewards. We haven't done anything major yet, but the amount of emotion and attitude involved shows how fun it will be when we do. Basketball also taught me o persevere and dedicate, but I learned a lot more from my basketball experience.

In a way, it has been the most influential. I knew it would be since it is a team sport, it's organized, and I had a lot to work on myself. We still have some personal improvement to go through as a team, but I can tell there has been a lot of growth from the past few months. As for myself, I have to work on my ability to use instincts in pressured situations, and the difference between being assertive and aggressive.

I have to admit, 3 electives can be a lot to manage, but there's nothing I can't handle. But besides that, I have learned a lot from the people I've met too. In the beginning, my friends were pretty raw in my reality, meaning I couldn't really create a description for them since I just met them. Over time, I learned who my real friends were in certain classes. That assertive/aggressive lesson helped out a lot too. To explain what I mean, I am an instinctively nice individual. Some people like to take advantage of that (i.e. when you are playing offense the defender is really good at protecting the basket, you can't ask them nicely to move out the way. You have to find a way to get to the hoop, without it being a violation of course).

One of the more intriguing topics I have came upon in high school is the compilation of cliques. There were mainly black people, but there are three main variations: standard people, independent people, and medians.

 The standard variation are the mainstream swagalicious ones. They're not ones to converse too broadly, but in a way, their conversations are still enjoyable. More based off of hilarity than stimulation from peers. And of course, they enjoy dancing and freestyling (jokes, dances, comebacks, you name it). A lot like family.

The independent variation is almost the opposite. They are the ones who would speak proper in general conversation (they still joke around, but the jokes are considerably less simple to comprehend,a dn if it's explained, then you ma as well forget the fact that it's a joke). Most of their interests are in things that barely anyone else would have heard of, making it easier for them to spot each other out. These are the ones who would use their knowledge to stimulate their peers with new ideas and concepts and media. Always a good group to befriend.

Medians are a lot of fun. They're kind of an in between of standard and independent, since they have their standard tendencies and their culture to instill in you. I have began to learn new languages and everything. For example, I learn a Kirundi term that: Urugendo Gweza (have a safe journey). These friends will be the ones I plan to know onto my adulthood, and I hope our paths cross after high school.

All in all, there's nothing about the experiences I've had that I would not have needed to learn form and that I would have not been through eventually. I'm glad that I have met the people here, and I'm sure they are glad to have met me. Next semester, I will see them again, along with some new faces that will create new journeys. There is so much that the future holds, but nonetheless it is best to live in the present, and enjoy the holidays (and the 2 week break) with my family.

Happy fill in the blank to you all.

 ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment